Pages

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Write It Out Wednesday: Revisions

I'm sick today but still revising my manuscript of Accepting Ellie. It's not my most favorite process in the first place. I just want to magically arrive at this incredible end product. I'm the type of person who gets an idea in her head and wants it to be done in as few steps as possible. Unfortunately, life doesn't always work like this.



An author's blog said revising was her favorite part of the writing process because in going over a second and third and fourth time, you discover the true meaning of your work, or the pot at the end of the rainbow.

Right now I can't get to the end of my rainbow. Usually it's in sight, but not today. Maybe it has something to do with the crazy thunderstorm we had last night?

I increased 30 chapters to 36, current word count about 73,700. I know I'll need to do some major cutting when this revision is complete. I am excited for what's to come, but I know as soon as school starts, this project will have to go on the back burner.

Thank goodness for encouraging critique groups!

Also, an advanatage to teaching sophomores is that they're part of my target audience. I'll probably bounce ideas off them this year. Put anonymous paragraphs up and have them edit and make suggestions.

What's your least favorite part of the writing process? How do you motivate yourself to work through it?

No comments: