Pages

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Yes, I'm Gullible

I know I didn't write my normal review yesterday (I would have written about a YA book called Anna and the French Kiss...but, rain check).  We've been packing up for a move!  Tomorrow we get a new apartment...same complex, just way bigger!  Oh joy! 

I forgot how not fun packing is. 

And while my husband was at work or playing video games, I did a ton of packing (Celia, if you read this, don't say anything!  He'll do the heavy lifting tomorrow!). 

I knocked those boxes out.  My mom is my amazing example as a military wife with tons of experience.  Starting ahead of time makes the transition so much smoother!  Anyway, there is a positive to all this...my husband and I have totally different packing styles.  So if I do it myself, I get my way:)

Now to the gullible part, which has nothing at all to do with the move.

I bought a magazine subscription for these teenagers who went door to door in our apt. complex (I know, I know).  I'm a sucker.  Their youth group's name was presented as Inspirations.  I finally looked them up online (after having not seen my Rachael Ray magazine that was supposed to be a birthday present for my friend Emily last JULY!).  They are one of the "scam groups" listed. 


You probably know the ones I'm talking about.  They say they get points for meeting people, points for your job...ask you all these questions.  I wouldn't have opened the door if they hadn't really looked like some neighbors I'd never met.  They hide their clipboards behind their backs.  And they pretty much come in right away and sit down on your furniture. 

At least it was just $40.  They told me my total was $96!  I said, "No way, not on a teacher's salary."  So one of the girls made a big deal, pretending like she was making up the difference from her own pocket.  I felt BAD for her.  Yep, I'm a sucker.

However, I read that the majority of these groups are kids in gangs.  One lady said she called the cops after two girls had been by her place, and they found a van with kids tied up in the back and the crew leader had been molesting some of the kids!  If the kids don't make certain quotas, they don't get food or they get beaten by the gang leaders.  I wonder how much of this is true, but I'll be praying for kids in those situations.  And, if my $40 allowed someone to eat for the day, I definitely don't feel bad.

Anyway, there are good lessons from all this...don't trust strangers.  Or telemarketers.  Or people who knock on your door near sunset.

And never, never give out your social security number.

Don't worry, I've never been temped to do that.  But maybe I just saved a person from identity fraud.  I'll be here thinking of my super hero name...

3 comments:

Brandi said...

Eek. We had a couple of girls who said they were selling magazines to attend Harvard...or Princeton...or some other Ivy League school. I figured if someone was smart enough to get into a university like that, her math skills would know selling magazines wouldn't pay tuition. I thought they were just trying to scam some summer money. Now I'm sad for them!

Anonymous said...

The SRO at our school suggested posting a sign saying no solicitation. If they come to your door anyway, you know they're not legit. Any legitimate organization knows they cannot go to any door that says no solicitation. It's horrid that this stuff exists but it does.

Natasha Hanova said...

I keep meaning to make a "No Soliciting" sign for my door.