Pages

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Covers That Scream, "Read Me!"

A fabulous cover can make all the difference.

In libraries, I judge by book titles first because I'm looking at their spines.

In bookstores, however, I am drawn to paranormal covers. Overall, they tend to be more creative. It doesn't hurt that paranormal is the first YA display in my local Barnes and Noble and several of them are facing outwards.

Here are some I'd read from the cover alone.
Note: I enjoy reading contemporary or dystopian fiction when it comes to plot, not paranormal.

The only downside of covers is that the artist most likely hasn't read the book. He/she sometimes can be totally off base. I get really frustrated when I read specific character descriptions and the person on the cover looks nothing like what has been described when it comes to weight, hair color, or eye color.


Imaginary Girls: The red captures my eye. Why is there a ribbon tied to her arm? I can already tell she has a problem because she's submerged in water. The dress wooshing up tells me she's jumped in, but this water has a vertical rippling effect. I'm interested.



Incarnate: The use of color in this one is phenomenal. I'm drawn to both red and purple. I love butterflies. The fact that it's acting like a mask tells me she has a secret. I need to know more about this girl!



Entangled: Since I'm on a roll with red, I figured I'd put this next. The hair in front of the eyes gives me a glimpse into her personality. She could be shy, coy, or hiding something on the other side of her face. The design reminds me of a tattoo. Do the hearts have a different meaning? I think her eye contact with the reader is powerful.




Hush, Hush: Red again...I'm seeing a pattern in myself. The black and white makes me think good vs. evil. The way his back is bent makes him seem like he's falling. Has something struck him to make him loose feathers? The black makes me think he could be a dark angel or maybe just misunderstood.



Bad Taste in Boys: These lips make me think of a margarita in a glass coated with sugar. This could also be implying cold, like icicles, or maybe even salt. The lips are blood red. What do they want? What is their goal? Something forbidden? Again, the contrast of black and white against red is stunning.


The Replacement: Weapons over a baby carriage, dark weather patterns. This story will be hard to put down.

Wither: Gorgeous girl, beautiful dress. This will probably be set long ago or in another world. Her face, hand, and the bird are circled. Is there an intentional connection?


Hereafter: A dock, water. The fading of her body implies that she's a ghost or disappearing in some way (even mentally). I like that you can't see her face. I'll be able to imagine it for myself when I read. 

How large a part does the cover art play in your selection of reading materials?
Is it more or less important than the title?
If a book has a boring cover, would you still pick it up to read the blurb?


No comments: